Bulletin Bible Study 04/07/2019
Facts about King David
- As a young man, David was a shepherd. He was anointed by Samuel to be king of Israel. Saul was king at that time, but the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul and came upon David (1Samuel 16).
- One of King Saul’s servants described David as “a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing the harp, a mighty man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a handsome person, and the LORD is with him.” (1 Samuel 16:18)
- Saul made David his armour-bearer and also had David play the harp to take away the depression Saul sometimes suffered by a distressing spirit from the LORD (1 Samuel 16:22-23)
- Among the best known events in David’s youth is his slaying of the giant Goliath with a slingshot and a single stone. (1Samuel 17).
- Samuel described David as follows: “The LORD has sought for himself a man after his own heart, and the LORD has commanded him to be commander over his people…”(1 Samuel 13:13-14).
- David was thirty years old when he began to reign. He reigned for forty years. First in Hebron he reigned over Judah for seven years and six months. Then in Jerusalem he reigned 33 years over all Israel and Judah (2 Samuel 5:3-5). Thus he united the kingdom.
- God said regarding David, “I have made a covenant with my chosen; I have sworn to David my servant, ‘I will establish your seed forever, and build up your throne to all generations'”(Psalm 89:3-4).